We have found that utilizing the inverted brew method with the Aeropress provides a better extraction, so this guide will be utilizing that technique.
- Step 1: Insert your paper filter into the cap and rinse with hot water. The water that is rinsing your filter can be used to preheat your drinking vessel as well.
- Step 2: Weigh out 20 grams of coffee and grind slightly finer than you would for drip. (Usually number 3/3.5 on most grinders.)
- Step 3: Place your Aeropress on the scale with its flared end up. Your numbers should be upside down; hence the “inverted” method.
- Step 4: Pour your ground coffee into the Aeropress.
- Step 5: Add 60 grams of 175 degree Fahrenheit water and stir vigorously for 15 seconds with a bamboo paddle or wooden dowel.
- Step 6: Let bloom for 30 seconds.
- Step 7: Continue filling until you have reached 250 grams on the scale. It should take roughly 10 seconds to reach 250.
- Step 8: Now screw the cap on your Aeropress and very carefully, but quickly, flip the device over and set it on top of your drinking vessel. You will now begin pressing down. It should take you 45 seconds to reach the number 1 on the Aeropress. This is where you should stop pressing. Total brew time should be 1:35.
- Step 9: Remove the Aeropress from the cup, unscrew the cap and pop the filter and puck into the trash.
Get started with Black Drop Coffee!
Call us today at