- Step 1: Pre-soak your Syphon filter in warm water for about five minutes. Set it down into the top chamber and hook the chain to the bottom of the chamber’s glass tube.
- Step 2: Fill the round part, or bulb as it’s commonly referred to, with roughly 300 grams of heated water, just above the “2” mark on the side.
- Step 3: Place the upper chamber into the lower bulb. Make sure that the connection is snug, but be careful not to press too hard, as it can make it difficult to remove after brewing is complete.
- Step 4: Place the bottom of the bulb directly over the heat source, be it flame or LED. Turn on heat to just below high.
- Step 5: Measure out 22 grams of coffee and grind to a slight bit finer than you would for drip.
- Step 6: The water will come to a boil, and once it has traveled up the tube into the top chamber, you will be ready to begin extracting.
- Step 7: Turn your heat source down so that it is just enough to keep the water in the top chamber. This process can take some practice to perfect.
- Step 8: Pour the ground coffee into the water filled chamber and stir very gently with a bamboo paddle or thin wooden spoon. You want to carefully submerge your grounds, saturating them completely.
- Step 9: Let the coffee brew for roughly 1 minute.
- Step 10: Now turn off the heat source and gently stir the coffee, making 10 steady rotations.
- Step 11: Wait for the coffee to completely move to the bottom of the bulb; a process that should take roughly another minute or so. Pour into a cup and enjoy what is arguably one of the cleanest cups of coffee available.
- Notes: As your coffee did just come off of a boil, it may be best to let it stand for a couple minutes before enjoying. It will be hot! Also, a thing to look for is the shape of the coffee mound above the filter. This can be a good indicator of your extraction technique. If you find that it is cone shaped, then you may want to slow down the speed in which you are stirring just before drawdown. If it is flat, then you may want to increase slightly. You are looking for the perfect dome, similar to that of a fresh baked cookie.
Get started with Black Drop Coffee!
Call us today at